Re: Unacceptable bug in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93547] Re: Unacceptable bug in Mathematica
  • From: John Doty <jpd at whispertel.LoseTheH.net>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 21:09:34 -0500 (EST)

psycho_dad wrote:
> The other day, a friend discovered something that may qualify as a
> major bug in Mathematica (tested in 6.0.3):
>
> SyntaxQ["Exp[]"]
>
> (notice that Exp has no argument) returns
>
> True !!!!
>
> According to the documentation:
>
> SyntaxQ["string"] returns True if the string corresponds to
> syntactically correct input for a single Mathematica expression, and
> returns False otherwise.
>
> At least for me Exp[] is not syntactically correct.

But it *is* correct syntax. An empty expression with Exp as its head.

> I expected more
> from Mathematica...

You didn't expect enough. You see, while Mathematica doesn't define
this, you can:

In[1]:= Unprotect[Exp]

Out[1]= {Exp}

In[2]:= Exp[]=E

Out[2]= E

In[3]:= Exp[]

Out[3]= E

A consequence, if you like, of the consistent, simple syntax at
Mathematica's foundation.

--
John Doty, Noqsi Aerospace, Ltd.
http://www.noqsi.com/