Re: Unacceptable bug in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93538] Re: Unacceptable bug in Mathematica
  • From: "Steve Luttrell" <steve at _removemefirst_luttrell.org.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 21:07:56 -0500 (EST)

Why do you think Exp[] is not syntactically correct? If you want a
syntactically incorrect expression you could try Exp[ instead, where the
missing ] causes it to be incomplete in a way that makes it syntactically
incorrect.

Because Exp[] is a syntactically correct Mathematica expression the
Mathematica kernel evaluates it, and produces the result Exp[] (i.e. no
change), and simultaneously produces a warning message "Exp::argx: Exp
called with 0 arguments; 1 argument is expected.".

If you override the default behaviour of Exp[], for instance by using

Unprotect[Exp];
Exp[] := myexp[];
Protect[Exp];

then Exp[] will evaluate to myexp[].