Re: Basic programming

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93589] Re: [mg93576] Basic programming
  • From: DrMajorBob <btreat1 at austin.rr.com>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 07:04:37 -0500 (EST)

Here's a bit of data:

data = RandomReal[{0, 1}, 100];

Here's the moving standard deviation, 10 elements at a time:

StandardDeviation /@ Partition[data, 10, 1]

(results omitted)

and here's the StandardDeviation applied to 1,2, .... ,100 elements:

Clear[stdev]
stdev[dat_List][n_] /; n < 2 = 0;
stdev[dat_List][n_] /; n <= Length@dat :=
  StandardDeviation@Take[dat, n]