RE: Basic programming

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg93588] RE: [mg93576] Basic programming
  • From: "Richard Hofler" <rhofler at>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 07:04:26 -0500 (EST)

I'm betting that you'll get many useful answers. Here's one solution
that I hope will help you.

One starting point to give you the rolling std. deviation is to create a
function that outputs three values:

{the location of the 1st element used to calculate the std. dev., the
location of the last element used to calculate the std. dev., the std.

lst = {1,20,3,40,5,60,7,80,9,100,11,120,5,7,90};

(* You might want to look up SetPrecision in the Documentation Center *)

Then, evaluate the function for several ranges of elements in your list.

Now that you see how it works, here's the concise method:

Richard Hofler