Re: Working with vectors symbolically

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93609] Re: Working with vectors symbolically
  • From: yatesd at mac.com
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 07:19:33 -0500 (EST)

You are not the first who has tried to figure this out. I had a
relatively simple problem to solve, and so defined my vectors in terms
of co-ordinates. The problem was simple enough that I could guess the
answer by looking at the component solution Mathematica worked out.
There is a package that was written by Hong Qin. I have glanced at it,
but never used it. Is is available at http://ftp.physics.uwa.edu.au/pub/Mathematica/Calculus/.
The package appears to know many of the usual vector rules. It
certainly would be nice if Wolfram added this functionality in a
future release.

Regards,

Derek