Re: Working with vectors symbolically

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93620] Re: Working with vectors symbolically
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 07:21:33 -0500 (EST)

Ram,
you may get the necessary information from the following tutorials and
Chapters of the help:

Vectors and Matrices, Operations on Vectors, Tensors, Cross ,  Dot,
Normalize, Orthogonalize, VectorAngle,  KroneckerDelta, Projection,
IdentityMatrix, UnitVector, DiagonalMatrix, Geometric Transforms

Best, Alexei

I need a CAS for working with vectors symbolically. I am accustomed to
using Mathematica for my symbolic math work, but it seems that
Mathematica is not up for the task. So I am hoping that you can either
show me how to do it in Mathematica, or refer me to some other CAS
that can handle this. [Do this my email to the author - moderator]
What I do are equations relating to electromagnetic fields. I have
long equations which are filled with scalar products and cross
products of vectors. Right now I have to simplify these equations by
hand. I want to be able to simplify them automatically... Also taking
limits. Mathematica has trouble taking limits on equations involving
vectors.

So anyone has any advice to offer?

Thanks,
Ram Rachum.

--
Alexei Boulbitch, Dr., Habil.
Senior Scientist

IEE S.A.
ZAE Weiergewan
11, rue Edmond Reuter
L-5326 Contern
Luxembourg

Phone: +352 2454 2566
Fax:   +352 2454 3566

Website: www.iee.lu

This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or otherwise confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any review, copying or distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us immediately and destroy the original transmittal from your system. Thank you for your co-operation.