Re: Creating a Banner for presentation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93632] Re: Creating a Banner for presentation
  • From: David Reiss <dbreiss at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 05:39:10 -0500 (EST)

Hi Alexi,

There are two (or more!) ways to go about this.  One is to create a
cell in a notebook that has the form that you want.  Then use the
Cell>Show Expression menu command to get the actual Cell expression
for that cell.  Copy that and use that in the DockedCells list.

An alternative way to go about this programatically is the following.
This involves some trickier stuff, but perhaps you can model based on
this.  Here it is for the example that you tried:

rose = Import["ExampleData/rose.gif"];

SetOptions[EvaluationNotebook[],
  DockedCells -> {
   FEPrivate`FrontEndResource["FEExpressions",
        "SlideshowToolbar"],
     First[
    ToBoxes[
      TextCell[rose, "Section", TextAlignment -> Center]
     ]
    ]}]

This sort of programming approach is not widely known, but I discuss
some of it in the article "Every Document is an Expression: The Reach
of Mathematica 6"

on this page,

http://scientificarts.com/worklife/notebooks/

Best regards,

David

On Nov 18, 7:21 am, Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbi... at iee.lu> wrote:
> Dear David,
> This is indeed a very good thing to be able to do. For this reason I woul=
d like to ask you to explain more about it.
> What I am missing is to be able to include an image as a banner cell, rat=
her than only a text. I tried the following:

> rose = Import["ExampleData/rose.gif"];
>
> SetOptions[EvaluationNotebook[],
>  DockedCells -> {Cell[Graphics[rose], "Title"]}]
>
> or
>
> SetOptions[EvaluationNotebook[],
>  DockedCells -> {FEPrivate`FrontEndResource["FEExpressions",
>     "SlideshowToolbar"],
>    Cell[rose, "Section", TextAlignment -> Center]}]
>
> but this does not work. Could you please give a tip?
>
> Best, Alexei
>
> >Just a small (but important) update to my previous post on this.  here
> >is a more useful template for how to go about this since it includes
> >the slide navigation elements:
> >SetOptions[EvaluationNotebook[],
>
>  >DockedCells -> {FEPrivate`FrontEndResource["FEExpressions",
>   >  "SlideshowToolbar"],
>    >Cell["this is it", "Section", TextAlignment -> Center]}]
>
> >Best,
> >David
>
> On Nov 16, 7:03 am, RG <gobithaa... at gmail.com> wrote:> Dear experts,
>
> > I'm trying to make a powerpoint like presentation using Mathematica 6, =
bu=
> t i
> > can't find any explaination in documentation on how to create banners
> > for my presentation. Nice example can be found at:http://library.wolfra=
m.=

> com/infocenter/Conferences/7002/.
>
> > Thanking you in advance,
> > jetro
>
> --
> Alexei Boulbitch, Dr., Habil.
> Senior Scientist
>
> IEE S.A.
> ZAE Weiergewan
> 11, rue Edmond Reuter
> L-5326 Contern
> Luxembourg
>
> Phone: +352 2454 2566
> Fax:   +352 2454 3566
>
> Website:www.iee.lu
>
> This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or other=
wise confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient and ha=
ve received this e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any review, =
copying or distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us imme=
diately and destroy the original transmittal from your system. Thank you fo=
r your co-operation.