Re: Displaying the solution step by step in Wolfram Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93696] Re: Displaying the solution step by step in Wolfram Mathematica
  • From: Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus at rath.org>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 06:11:54 -0500 (EST)

yarlan7 at gmail.com writes:
>  I have such a question: Is it possible to display in Mathematica the
> solution for example of integral equation step by step? Not only the
> final solution. If yes, how to do it? I've not found anything about
> this in Documentation Center unless I missed it.

It is probably possible ("evaluation tracing" is the keyword to look
for) but most likely this is not what you want:

Mathematica usually solves problems in a way that differs very much
from the way that a human would solve them. With integrals, for
example, Mathematica may start by differentiating a very long and
complex expression and just try to match coefficients. Hence looking
at the individual steps is not going to tell you much unless you want
to debug/optimize Mathematica internals.

Best,

   -Nikolaus

--
 =C2=BBIt is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
  By definition, there are already enough people to do that.=C2=AB