Floating-Point Computing

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg93885] Floating-Point Computing
  • From: Antonio <aneves at>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 05:04:32 -0500 (EST)

Dear List,

I came across this Sun article on floating point:

which calculates the following code:

 register i;
 double f=0.0;
 double sqrt();

    f+=sqrt( (double) i);
 printf("Finished %20.14f\n",f);

whose correct answer using Euler-Maclaurin formula is:

Tried to implement in mathematica, just for fun, so that later I could
play with precision, but the kernel has no more memory and shuts down.

Any ideas?