Re: Are any books for v7 (&v6) new features planned?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93942] Re: Are any books for v7 (&v6) new features planned?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 04:30:48 -0500 (EST)

> On 27 =CD=EF=DD, 12:32, "David Bakin" <david... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Are there any books planned that will describe the new features of v7 (and
> > v6) in a nice, organized, linear, printed, way?
> >
> > [I have checked the archives of mathgroup.  This horse has been thoroughly
> > beaten in the past, for example when v6 came out.  But it hasn't died yet.
> > So I'm raising my hand to continue the thrashing.]

> Hi David.
>
> See
>
> http://www.mathematicaguidebooks.org/
>
> Dimitris

I've obviously been doing some of this thrashing; and don't recall
seeing this link posted ever before.  Maybe that's because:

*  Mathematica 6 was released and distributed starting in May 2007

*  And this link, as of late Nov 2008, notes on its opening page

      News:

      [U]pdating the GuideBooks is taking longer than
      predicted. So, rather than having new versions in
      Summer 2008, the expected date is sometime in 2009.

"Sometime in 2009"!!!!  Hasn't Mathematica 6 already been replaced, as of
late 2008, by Mathematica 7?

It's a truly insane situation.