Re: Re: Re: v.7.0 issues

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93940] Re: [mg93855] Re: [mg93827] Re: v.7.0 issues
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 04:30:26 -0500 (EST)

No comment on the third issue, which I haven't tried.  As for the first two
issues...

1) Mathematica now has real contextual menus (it has for many years had a
right-click menu, but the menu was fixed, never changing based upon context).
This means that it now matters *where* you click.  If you have something
selected and you click on that selection, you'll get options which pertain to
the selection.  For example, if you have a multiple cell selection, you need to
right-click on one of the selected cells.  If you click someplace else, you'll
get a menu which allows you to paste where you clicked (or do other kinds of
transformations on whatever it was you clicked), which requires changing the
selection in most cases.

2) This isn't a situation I was very happy with.  Safari binds back and forward
navigation to Command+[ and Command+].  One of the things we've tried to do in
the help viewer is to support web browser memes, and so in version 7 we support
the Safari method.  But doing so didn't leave any good openings for shortcuts
for inserting matching brackets/braces.  In the end, we elected to use
Command+Option+] and Command+Option+Shift+] for these cases.  If you'd much
rather have the old keyboard shortcuts back, let me know and I can walk you
through reverting them.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com