Re: Re: v.7.0 issues

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93943] Re: [mg93910] Re: v.7.0 issues
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 04:30:59 -0500 (EST)

You're just cheating yourself by foregoing version 7.

Re point 2), below, on documentation: the documentation is getting
better and better and, more importantly, the overall usability has
improved greatly, especially for novices.

Evidence:

* Terrific Welcome Screen with links to all sorts of ways to get
started, including links to...

* On-line screencasts (although some of these are version 6-centric and
need to be redone for 7) and to...

* First Steps with Mathematica hands-on tutorial (an extended version of
the Mathematica 6's "First Five Minutes..." tutorial.

* Cleaner organization of Documentation Center home page.

* Built-in "Virtual Book" (as eventually appeared in 6)

* Classroom Assistant and Basic Math Assistant palettes, which include...

* Pasting of prototypes into a notebook that included named arguments,
not just placeholders.

* Easy to find out what's new in version 7 and, for any function of
interest, what's changed.

There are now so many ways to get into Mathematica that I just hope a
beginner is not overwhelmed by which one to use to start!

One thing missing seems to be a single list of all the changes to
existing function in a single list. However, I suspect that such a list
would be so unwieldy as to have limited utility.

The best bet for a version 6 user concerned about changes in 7 would be,
I should think, to run version 6 code on test cases with known results
and see if the results are different; if so, begin to isolate the pieces
where the results are different and then consult the specified changes
in the corresponding function reference page(s).

There are of course some 3rd-party books on Mathematica 6 already in
print or about to appear, as for example a search at amazon.com will
reveal.  There is no printed "The Mathematica Book", and others have
explained adequately in this list why there won't be such a thing. But
we do have the electronic equivalent, and the more I use it the less I
miss the printed version -- yes, I admit it!

Re 3), about cost:

I'm not sure who the "average user" is who's mentioned. Surely for
professionals in business, industry, and government, the cost need not
be an impediment.

At universities, the smart thing is to get a site license.

For students, today at even my own public university most students now
bring their own computers to campus.  A one-semester license for just
$45 is hardly astronomical (provided that one compensates by selecting
textbooks with price as a factor!), and likewise the $70 annual license.

Re 5): I hardly think that this anecdotal evidence bolsters the views
expressed. Not even the guy's NAS and NAE credentials; not even if he
were a Nobelist, too. Just because one other user had trouble porting
from 5.2 to 6 is no good reason to prevent lots of other folks from
moving to the newer or newest version.  After all, there are lots of
scientists and engineers around still using decades-old FORTRAN code; if
it does what they need to get done, well and good.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305