RE: Re: v.7.0 issues

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93977] RE: [mg93954] Re: v.7.0 issues
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 07:00:13 -0500 (EST)

They should make it the same worldwide price. Their present marketing system
does not work. WRI should be dissatisfied with the results.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark

From: Savas Nesseris [mailto:s.nesseris at gmail.com]

I also realized something else. The difference in value for the
standard category(personal)/new license/professional download/windows
version of Mathematica 7  between the US and some EU country (say
Greece) is really huge (~40%)! It costs 2495$ in the US (=1,940=80) and
3185=80 in Greece. You do the math and you (WRI) can call me a liar if
the values for the settings I mentioned above are not right (as of
November 28 2008 from the Mathematica online store). I remind you that
I mentioned the case for a new license...

Is there any (good) reason why in the US it is so much cheaper? Surely
there are no shipment costs for Mathematica to go from the States to
the EU since one may download  it. Is it because some manager in WRI
thinks that people in the EU & especially Greece are so much richer?

I think that the reason is that Mathematica has no real competition.
Most opensource alternatives suck (I have tried some of them).
After having seen the eyecandy graphics of Mathematica I feel
like playing a Commodore game (form back into the 80s) when I use
an older system and I've heard the same from many colleagues.

Anyway, I mean no disrespect to WRI or anyone else. I am just voicing
some concerns... Debating is healthy, right? However, some
explanations for the above mentioned discrepancy (in the price) I
think are in order...

Cheers