Re: v.7.0 issues
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg93837] Re: v.7.0 issues
- From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
- Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 07:23:36 -0500 (EST)
- Organization: University of Bergen
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
Nasser Abbasi wrote: > One interesting thing that I noticed about it, is that, on Windows XP, the > size of the image (the .exe) is 478,662,656 bytes, while version 6.0 had a > size of 476,127,232 bytes. This means the increase in image size (on the > same platform) was only 0.5%, yet the number of Mathematica functions in 6.0 > was ~2100 while in version 7.0 was ~2550, which is an increase of ~17%. > > This means some major rewriting must have occurred to be able to add 17% > more functions than before while keeping the size of the image about the > same. > > http://12000.org/my_notes/compare_mathematica/index.htm > Are you referring to the installer size? The size of that depends significantly on the compression technique used. Furthermore, most of the space is not taken up by executable code, but things like documentation and other support files.