Re: signs in the mathematica output

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg92480] Re: signs in the mathematica output
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 18:32:01 -0400 (EDT)

The handling of signs under simplification is an annoying feature of
Mathematica.

Sometimes the result might look better if you display in TraditionalForm.

Simplify[(1 - s) (1 - a)]
% // TraditionalForm
(-1 + a) (-1 + s)
(a - 1) (s - 1)

Otherwise you can Map Minus onto the two factors.

Simplify[(1 - s) (1 - a)]
Minus /@ %
(-1 + a) (-1 + s)
(1 - a) (1 - s)

More generally what you have to do is Map Minus at the location of two
factors. For example if we divide the two factors we could use:

Simplify[(1 - s)/(1 - a)]
MapAt[Minus, %, {{1, 1}, {2}}]
(1 - s)/(1 - a)

But getting the positions of the two factors and straightening everything up
can be something of a pain in the neck. Maybe someone else will have a
better suggestion.

--
David Park
djmpark at comcast.net