Re: signs in the mathematica output

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg92483] Re: signs in the mathematica output
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 18:32:42 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

the problem can't be solved, because Mathematica orders sums
due to the complexity of the summands, the lowest complexity has
a single number and so -1 comes before a variable like "s" or "a".
Second your expression is

Times[Plus[1,Times[-1,s]],Plus[1,Times[-1,a]]

after FullSimplify[] it is

Times[Plus[-1,s],Plus[-1,a]]

and that is simpler than you input.

You can play around with the ExcludeForms and ComplexityFunction
options of FullSimplify[] but I would not expect that a general
solution exist.

Regards
   Jens