Re: Real and Complex Roots presented in a single plot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg92484] Re: [mg91820] Real and Complex Roots presented in a single plot
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 18:32:53 -0400 (EDT)

Here's some suggestions.

First, since the roots of the function include complex numbers, it's
better to call the input variable z, and then use a different name for
the function.

Second, you might have better luck if you rationalize the coefficients,
solve "exactly", then take the numerical values of the exact roots
found.  That way you won't have to do lots of FindRoot instances.

Third, it seems to me that plotting the real and imaginary parts of each
root separately, on the x- and y-axes, respectively, will not be very
enlightening unless all you're interested in is those real and imaginary
parts:  you won't be able to tell which real part goes with which
imaginary part.  So I also suggest that you plot the complex points
themselves.  If you want, in addition, to plot the real and imaginary
parts of each on an axis, that should now be simple to add to the plot.

    f[z_] := (13/10) Sin[(17/10) z] + (6/10) Sin[4 z]
    roots = z /. Solve[f[z] == 0, z]
    nRoots = N /@ roots
    xyPairs = nRoots /. Complex[a_, b_] -> {a, b}

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305