Re: fellow authors

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg92532] Re: fellow authors
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 06:40:43 -0400 (EDT)

Do you mean that the book will be in the form of Mathematica notebooks and
not printed in static form? In that case you can do wonderful things because
of all the graphical and dynamic capabilities of Mathematica.

I think that the proper tool will be Wolfram Workbench - but unfortunately
it is not yet in shape for this purpose. Any book will probably have enough
new routines to warrant one or more packages that go with the book. Then a
'book project' would consist of the packages, one or more folders that
contained all the book notebooks (perhaps with their own style sheet) and
documentation. The documentation would not only link to the package function
pages, but also to the set of book notebooks and the notebooks could link
back to the rest of the documentation. The first page of the documentation
would probably be a table of contents to the book, and also links to any
package documentation.   But all of this was very ragged and not basically
working in the last Workbench. There is also a problem when some of the
packages are loaded with a stub package using DeclarePackage statements. I
think that WRI is aware of the problems and possibilities but we just have
to wait and see what gets implemented.

If this kind of structure were implemented in Workbench, then it could be
used not only for books, but would also be convenient for college courses,
research projects, consulting projects and one's own self-study of existing
books or topics.

One of the objectives I have for the Presentations package is to be able to
write notebooks that look much more like regular textbooks or research
papers. Some of the features it has are: routines to keep a set of
references in whatever style you want; keeping automatically numbered key
equations; writing fairly general ellipses expressions and converting them
to regular Mathematica statements; formatting 'page' displays that hide the
Mathematica specifications and concentrate on the subject matter; gathering
multiple-page calculations, proofs and derivations into compact spaces that
show the structure of the derivation and in which pages can be individually
displayed or launched in separate windows; the implementation of sidebar
notebooks. If you wish, you can write notebooks that show no Input/Output
statements at all. How many Input/Output statements do you see in regular
textbooks?

For those who want to see an example of this style I have a PDF version of a
notebook on a derivation of the area swept out by the focal angle in an
ellipse using a very nice method presented by David Cantrell. The notebook
goes all the way from the definition of an ellipse to plotting orbits around
the sun and everything is done actively with Mathematica. If you wish a copy
just send me an email. Of course, the PDF doesn't have the active dynamic
capabilities that the notebook has.

--
David Park
djmpark at comcast.net