Re: Mathematica 6.0: good choice statistics for an MD thesis?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93219] Re: Mathematica 6.0: good choice statistics for an MD thesis?
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 03:07:50 -0500 (EST)

On 10/30/08 at 2:01 AM,
marc.heusser at byeheusser.commercialspammers.invalid (Marc Heusser)
wrote:

>I need to collect data, do statistical analyses and create graphics
>for the results for my MD thesis (suicides in elderly people).

<snip>

>Would you recommend using Mathematica to build a data collection
>mask (ie one case, with drop boxes for most data, checking eg birth
>date for validity etc), and collecting those 1500 cases with it in a
>notebook or external file - what data structure?

>If anyone has done parts of this task, especially created a small
>form to collect data in a structure that can be used for the
>statistical tests, I'd be very grateful for some example code to get
>me started. The same goes for data structures and running some
>built-in statistical tests.

>I have used Mathematica before, older versions, but for very
>different tasks, I have never done statistics in Mathematica before.

Where to start?

I use Mathematica extensively to do data analysis and modeling.
But I have never used Mathematica for data entry. Once I get the
data in some electronic format, I typically use a text editor to
format the files as a Mathematica expression putting comments at
the start of each data file. That is the structure of the files
are typically:

(*

comments

*)