RE: Thinking Mathematica: Any suggestions?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91678] RE: [mg91672] Thinking Mathematica: Any suggestions?
  • From: "E. Martin-Serrano" <eMartinSerrano at telefonica.net>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 06:39:22 -0400 (EDT)

In my humble opinion your post addresses a non solved question. In fact,
there has been a lot of controversy in the forum about whether using
procedural or functional programming or just a mix. My perception of the
situation is that most users tend to prefer the procedural way (FORTRAN
like) to the functional (APL like). Functional programs for complex problems
tend to be awkward and difficult to grasp or modify. In the past, the
paradigm of functional programs was termed "the oneliner" but it was
abandoned because of the reason above. A few years ago, one of the habitual
mathgroupers (I am sorry, I do not remember who) posted a draft of an
article about a special purpose approach to functional programming based on
the structure of the mathematical objects to be handled. It seemed promising
but it never heard of it again, maybe some one could recall that now. In
summary, mix your procedural experience with what you can learn