Re: Thinking Mathematica: Any suggestions?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91674] Re: [mg91672] Thinking Mathematica: Any suggestions?
  • From: Selwyn Hollis <sh2.7183 at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 06:38:38 -0400 (EDT)

Sounds like you are coming to Mathematica much like I did a couple of
lives ago.

My advice:

Don't even try to force Mathematica into the looping constructs that
you're used to thinking about. You can do it, but you'd just be
postponing getting where you want to be. And learn at least a little
bit about about functional programming languages. I had no idea what
that was all about for years.

Focus for a while just on Lists -- building them, manipulating them,
etc. That should help you break the loop habit. There are A LOT of
functions to learn here, but Table, NestList, and Map will take you
pretty far. Your background may whisper in your ear that using
functions like those is somehow "cheating," but it's not.

-- Selwyn Hollis