CPU usage when AddOns is open in Help Browser

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91701] CPU usage when AddOns is open in Help Browser
  • From: Curtis Osterhoudt <cfo at lanl.gov>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 02:05:19 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, all,

      I run Mathematica 6.0.3 on a 32-bit Linux system. Whenever I open
the "Installed AddOns" window from the Help Browser, and then choose *any* of
the installed AddOns (for example, Mr. Park's "Presentations"), the CPU usage
in my system goes up dramatically (to the extent that one of the CPUs is
often pegged at 100%, with the other one also being worked). Nothing has to
be shown in the lower frame of the window (where the actual documentation is
displayed) for this to happen.
     I note that it is actually the x frontend (/usr/bin/X) which is doing
much of the cranking, though it doesn't do it even when I have quite
complicated 3D things going on in a regular Mathematica notebook. Does the
AddOns browser use an outdated interaction with the x system?

              Regards,
                               Curtis O.
Curtis Osterhoudt
cfo at remove_this.lanl.and_this.gov