Error in file / load entire notebook into memory

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91828] Error in file / load entire notebook into memory
  • From: Adam Weyhaupt <aweyhau at siue.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 06:57:53 -0400 (EDT)

I am teaching Calc I this semester and am having my students do
Mathematica labs.  The labs are written in Mathematica 6, but we have both
Mathematica 6 and Mathematica 5.2 on campus, so I can't guarantee that the labs were never opened in 5.2.  On a few (about 3 files out of 60), I am
getting the following error.  This occurs in a pop up dialog box
after scrolling down through the file.

"There appears to be an error in the file named below.  You should
close it without saving, then check the "Load entire notebook into
memory" checkbox in the Notebook Options dialog.  File name: /Users/
adam/Desktop/downloads/lab1_exercises_1_-2.nb."

On two of these labs, the file seemed to be badly damaged --- I
couldn't read most of it.  On a third, I can see no visual or
computational problem with the file.

Do you have any thoughts about what might be causing these errors?
Have you seen this before?  I can't find the "load entire notebook
into memory" option; do you have any suggestions about where to find it?

I'm using Mathematica 6.0.2, Mac OS X 10.4.11, 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2
Duo.  (The files were also opened and worked on on Win XP,
Mathematica 6.0.0, I think.  There could have been other machines
involved.)

Thanks,

Adam

-----
Adam Weyhaupt
	Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
aweyhau at siue.edu
http://www.siue.edu/~aweyhau/
Science Building 1316	(618) 650-2220