Re: Functional programming? (RPN -v- Algebraic)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg92107] Re: Functional programming? (RPN -v- Algebraic)
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 04:59:00 -0400 (EDT)

An hour or so ago I submitted a post with closing paragraph:

   Which is why, in that situation, I fire up Mathematica in the laptop
   rather than reaching for the calculator, and start writing functional
   rather than procedural code.  (I trust you all appreciate the double
   entendre here: functional programming is the functional way to solve
   problems and get answers).

which obviously should have read:

   Which is why, in that situation, I fire up Mathematica in the laptop
   rather than reaching for the calculator, and start writing PROCEDURAL
   rather than FUNCTIONAL code.  (I trust you all appreciate the double
   entendre here: PROCEDURAL programming is the FUNCTIONAL way to solve
   problems and get answers).

Apologies for the confusion (whether you agree with the conclusion or
not).  I shouldn't try to hastily catch up on newsgroup reading the
morning after a 24-hour airline mal-adventure, while still only half
functional myself.