labeling axes in a ContourPlot

Mathmatica ver 6/Mac Leopard

How do you label the axes in ContourPlot?

For a simple 3D plot

Plot3D[Sin[x] Cos[y], {x, -Pi, Pi}, {y, -Pi, Pi},
 AxesLabel -> {"X", "Y", "Sin[x] Cos[y]"}]

Works well. But why doesn't the following work?

ContourPlot[Sin[x] Cos[y], {x, -Pi, Pi}, {y, -Pi, Pi},
 AxesLabel -> {"X", "Y", "Sin[x] Cos[y]"}]

I also tried removing the 'z' label with no change.

I have looked throughout the ContourPlot documentation and the options
available and I don't see AxesLabel available.  You can label the
individual contours with their values, etc.  Do you have to go to
graphic primitives and do it manually?

Second question:  how would you change the font size for the numbers
on the axes?  I tried some the ways demonstrated for plot with no luck.