Re: Defining a custom Leibnitz operator in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg92353] Re: Defining a custom Leibnitz operator in Mathematica
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 07:22:53 -0400 (EDT)

GidiL wrote:
> Dear All!
>
> I would appreciate any input on the following problem.
>
> I would like to define a custom differential operator with the
> following properties:
>
> 1. it would be denoted with a customized symbol that I would create
> (e.g. the Greek letter \delta, or any combination, such as \bar
> {\delta});
>
> 2. it would possess the Leibnitz property of differentiation;
>
> 3. it would be possible to define its action a priori on certain
> elements (e.g. \delta of a constant would be zero, etc.).
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gideon

Hi Gideon,

The following tutorial, "An Example: Defining Your Own Integration
Function," available online and at

http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/AnExampleDefiningYourOwnIntegrationFunction.html

should tell you all, assuming your are comfortable enough with pattern
matching. If more info are needed, see "Patterns" either online or at

http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/PatternsOverview.html

Regards,
-- Jean-Marc