Partial derivatives for implicit functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98303] Partial derivatives for implicit functions
  • From: Srikanth <skt at xdtech.com>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 06:38:39 -0400 (EDT)

Hi
I have a function f(x,y,z)=0. I would like to find dx/dy and dx/dz
(where I am using d for partial derivatives, I'm not sure how to get
the actual symbol in this edit box), where both would be functions of
x, y and z. Unfortunately, I cannot get an explicit solution x=g(y,z).
Any ideas on how I'd go about solving this?
Thanks
Srikanth