Re: release memory

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98283] Re: release memory
  • From: "Sjoerd C. de Vries" <sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 06:34:53 -0400 (EDT)

The result is also in the Out[..] variable. You can clear that (see
tutorial/MemoryManagement).

Alternatively, you could prevent that the history is stored by setting
$HistoryLength to zero before you start.

Cheers -- Sjoerd

On Apr 3, 11:09 am, summer <summer... at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am doing a long memory consuming calculation. At certain point I get va=
riable contaning huge amount of numerical data. I process it and don't need=
 it anymore.

> Is there a way to delete it and RELEASE the memory it takes, i. e. make i=
t available?

> I tried ClearAll[...], it deletes the variable but the memory doesn't bec=
ome available - I watch the Windows Task Manager and it doesn't show increa=
se in the available memory.

> I know quitting the kernel releases all the used memory but it stops the =
calculation which I don't want. If I don't release the memory of variables =
I no longer need, soon I ran out of memory, that's why I need to know how t=
o make the memory available again during calculation.