Re: Joust in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98267] Re: Joust in Mathematica
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 06:31:54 -0400 (EDT)

Very nice, Albert!

Maybe a horizontal scrollbar, and then what are the chances of adding an
invisible locator or EventHandler to alter the width of the left hand panel?

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: Albert Retey [mailto:awnl at gmx-topmail.de]

Hi,

> I've been wondering how to set up something that behaves like the Java
Joust
> in Mathematica:  http://www.ivanpeters.com/  we all use them every day
on on
> windows machines, so I am wondering how to implement something like it in
> Mathematica. At first, I thought of using GraphPlot or TreePlot, but
> then started to wonder if OpenerView and Opener could be trained to behave
in
a more
> general way. Has anyone thought about this already, or got some
working examples?

I think OpenerView isn't providing the looks, but the functionality,
depending of course what exactly you have in mind. What exactly are you
missing? Here is some code for Mathematica 7 you might want to play with:

ov[a_String] := Button[a, content = a]

ov[expr_] := OpenerView[{Head[expr], Column[ov /@ (List @@ expr)]}]

CreateDialog[{Dynamic[
   Row[{Panel[
      Pane[ov[tree], ImageSize -> {100, 200},
       Scrollbars -> {False, True}]],
     Panel[Pane[Dynamic[content], ImageSize -> {200, 200}]]}]]}]

hth,

albert