Re: Computing resources

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98363] Re: Computing resources
  • From: "Sjoerd C. de Vries" <sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 02:50:00 -0400 (EDT)

Filippo,

This is not strange. Most of the programs you have only use one core.
Only a few will use more than one. Some games can do it, some
photoshop filters... The Mathematica kernel also runs in one core.
However, as of 7, Mathematica has parallelism built-in. This is not an
automatic process though, and many programs and algorithms are not
suited for parallelization. For an overview of parallelization
functions, see guide/ParallelComputing or
http://wolfram.com/products/mathematica/newin7/content/BuiltInParallelCompu=
ting/

Cheers -- Sjoerd