Re: Computing resources

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98321] Re: Computing resources
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 02:42:24 -0400 (EDT)

On 4/6/09 at 5:02 AM, miatto at gmail.com (Filippo Miatto) wrote:

>Dear all, During a long computation I opened the taskmanager in
>windows and I realized that Mathematica (7) uses only one out of 4
>cores on my machine. Do you know why this is happening? Do you have
>the same problem? is is something that has to do with mathematica or
>with windows?

That is the way things are supposed to work. Multiple cores are
equivalent to multiple processors from Mathematica's
perspective. Unless you make use of parallel computing,
Mathematica only runs the kernel on a single processor. To make
use of all of the cores you have available you need to use the
various functions which have names that start with Parallel.