Re: Wolfram support website documents deleted

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98394] Re: Wolfram support website documents deleted
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 05:51:04 -0400 (EDT)

Bob F wrote:
> It appears that Wolfram has recently redesigned the
> support.wolfram.com website and a lot of my links are toast. I called
> Wolfram support and they said that a lot of the older information has
> been removed or consolidated, or ???.
>
> Wow, I was really floored that so much information was just totally
> removed and no longer accessible to Mathematica users who try to look
> up information. Has anyone else, noticed having problems looking up
> things on Wolfram's support web site? Was there any sort of
> announcement that this was going to or had happened?
>
> Gosh, disk space is so cheap these days - why would such a valuable
> resource to the Mathematica user community be trashed?
>
> Does anyone else feel badly about this? Please let Wolfram know how
> you feel if you do.
>
> -Bob

I really worry that the WRI documentation team has become obsessed with
form over substance. I guess they would say that the information they
removed related to earlier versions - but a lot of it was valuable, and
their modern documentation is often too vague or incomplete - which is
why people go and mine the old stuff - most of which is still valid.

You might want to try GOOGLEing your favourite lost information and
selecting the cached version (which usually hangs about for a little
while) - then save it for future reference!

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk