Re: StringJoin with ToString

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98489] Re: StringJoin with ToString
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 04:59:50 -0400 (EDT)

replicatorzed at gmail.com wrote:

> If I use a different name (e.g. ExtendedStringJoin, as it was
> suggested), I loose the effective shorthand version (<>), as it would
> still use the original function. Is there a way to overwrite at least
> the definitions of the infix operator?

You can't overwrite it (as far as I know), and in some ways that would
be as bad as redefining the actual function, but you can co-opt an
unused operator:

In[1]:= SetAttributes[CirclePlus, Flat];
SetAttributes[CirclePlus, OneIdentity];

In[3]:= CirclePlus[x___] := f[x]

In[4]:= a\[CirclePlus]b\[CirclePlus]c\[CirclePlus]d

Out[4]= f[a, b, c, d]

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk