Re: StringJoin with ToString

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98360] Re: StringJoin with ToString
  • From: replicatorzed at gmail.com
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 02:49:28 -0400 (EDT)

I was too hasty posting my reply:

First, I'm extremely sorry to mix up your name, ADL.
Second: this code of you does only half of the job: It can not convert
lists to strings verbatim,
that is toString[{1,2,3}] gives {"1","2","3"} instead of "{1,2,3}".
Which (as it seems to me) is exactly the problem causing the wrong
pinting of Messages. Still I wonder whether there is a reliable
solution to apply ToString to inputs of StringJoin without explicitely
writing it each time I call StringJoin.
If I use a different name (e.g. ExtendedStringJoin, as it was
suggested), I loose the effective shorthand version (<>), as it would
still use the original function. Is there a way to overwrite at least
the definitions of the infix operator?

Istvan