Image Analysis: identifying objects with Mathematica 7.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98562] Image Analysis: identifying objects with Mathematica 7.0
  • From: GidiL <gidienator at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 03:31:21 -0400 (EDT)

Hi All!

I would appreciate any input on the following problem:

After scanning my samples with TEM, I get images (JPEG or TIFF) which
contain many  dimmers, e.g. gold nanoparticles connected via some
other molecule.
Approximately half of the popoulation is that of dimmers, while the
other half contains trimmers, monomers, etc. I would like to run some
statistics on the samples.
I read Theodore Gray's post in the Wolfram Blog about the new
capabilities of image processing in Mathematica 7.0.1 and I would like
to ask if it is possible to do the following in Mathematica:

Pick out a square that contains the dimmers, define that square as a
new image, and then let Mathematica search for such an image within
the original image.

I know that Mathematica has a new function MorphologicalComponents
that is apparently the key to getting this done, but I don't really
understand how to use it. It is also supposed to return the
coordinates of the located images, but I don't know how to extract
this output from the function.

Thanks,

Gideon