Re: Image Analysis: identifying objects with Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98682] Re: [mg98562] Image Analysis: identifying objects with Mathematica
  • From: Matthias Odisio <matthias at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 04:14:18 -0400 (EDT)

Gideon,

GidiL wrote:
> Hi All!
>
> I would appreciate any input on the following problem:
>
> After scanning my samples with TEM, I get images (JPEG or TIFF) which
> contain many  dimmers, e.g. gold nanoparticles connected via some
> other molecule.
> Approximately half of the popoulation is that of dimmers, while the
> other half contains trimmers, monomers, etc. I would like to run some
> statistics on the samples.
> I read Theodore Gray's post in the Wolfram Blog about the new
> capabilities of image processing in Mathematica 7.0.1 and I would like
> to ask if it is possible to do the following in Mathematica:
>
> Pick out a square that contains the dimmers, define that square as a
> new image, and then let Mathematica search for such an image within
> the original image.

Yes, it is possible.

You can use ImageCorrelate; if the appearance of the dimmers varies a
lot in the image, this approach may not be good. You can then revert to
ImageFilter with a more robust template matching function.

We could probably be more specific if we could see one of your images.

Matthias Odisio
Wolfram Research