Re: Importing a large image...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98614] Re: [mg98523] Importing a large image...
  • From: peter <plindsay.0 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 06:17:32 -0400 (EDT)

hi David
I have a solution I think.
I used a sample TIFF of ~700MB. I note you use a Mac, so that makes it easy -
I opened it in GraphicConverter, a free app [
http://www.lemkesoft.com/ ] and saved it as a [ lossless ] PNG but
also used the save option to Split the file into 4 X 3 smaller
constituent files. Each of these files [ ~20MB ] is then easily
imported into Mathematica by something like:
a=Import["Desktop/tiff-2a-03-03.png"]

I'm sure the http://www.imagemagick.org/ utility [ which is available
free on the mac and I think via mactex installation ] can do a similar
trick.

Conversion to PNG is probably not necessary but it seemed like a good
idea at the time ;)

I hope this helps

Peter

--