axis label position

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98648] axis label position
  • From: AM Cody <amc at astro.caltech.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 05:00:06 -0400 (EDT)

The default position for axis labels in Mathematica is at the end of the axes. However, I need to make a plot with the x-axis label below the x axis and the y-axis to the left (not at the top). Is there some axes label format specification that controls this?

So far, I have found two potential solutions, and neither of them are ideal:

-I can instead use Text[] to put a label at the location of my choosing and then use Show[] to show the plot and the label together. The problem with this is that the plot axes get extended to accomodate these new graphics objects (the labels). I just want an x and y axis that begin at the origin and extend to positive values. Showing the labels makes them extend to negative values as well, which isn't very astheticaly pleasing.

-What I want to do also seems possible with Frame, since FrameLabel produces the kinds of labels that I want.
But to use frame I need to suppress the upper and right parts (i.e., so that I'm left with just an x and y axis). The command for this: Frame->{{True,False},{True,False}}
does not seem to work on the version of Mathematica (5.2) installed on this computer system.

Is there an easier/cleaner way to do this?