Re: Brace, bracket pretty format needed

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98660] Re: Brace, bracket pretty format needed
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.com>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 04:10:18 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

here is a function that I once copied from a Wolfram site, but I can no

more tell exactly where. Anyway, the function ColorBrackets will color

bracket and braces. TransformBrackets and FindBrackets  are auxilliary

functions.

TransformBrackets[f_, expr_] :=

   DisplayForm[FindBrackets[ToBoxes[expr], f]];

FindBrackets[startexpr_, f_] :=

   	Fold[Function[{expr, location},

     		ReplacePart[expr,

      f[expr[[Sequence @@ location]], Length[location]], location]],

    startexpr,

    Sort[Position[startexpr,

      RowBox[{a___, "{" | "[" | "(", b__, "]" | "}" | ")", c___}]],

     Length[#1] > Length[#2] &]];

ColorBrackets[expr_] :=

  TransformBrackets[

   StyleBox[AdjustmentBox[#1, BoxMargins -> {{0, 0}, {.5, .5}}],

     Background -> Hue[Mod[N[#2/10], 1], .5]] &, expr]

Using this, you may create a button, that takes the selection and writes

a new cell with the colored selection. E.g.:

Button["ColorBrackets", (nb = SelectedNotebook[];

   SelectionCreateCell[nb]; SelectionMove[nb, All, Cell];

   NotebookApply[nb, "ColorBrackets[\[SelectionPlaceholder] ]", All];

   SelectionEvaluate[nb])]

Finally you may put this button in a palete.

hope ths helps, Daniel