MathGroup Archive 2009

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: axis label position

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98695] Re: axis label position
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 04:16:40 -0400 (EDT)
  • References: <gs47mb$7pg$1@smc.vnet.net>

AM Cody wrote:
> The default position for axis labels in Mathematica is at the end of the axes. However, I need to make a plot with the x-axis label below the x axis and the y-axis to the left (not at the top). Is there some axes label format specification that controls this? 
> 
> So far, I have found two potential solutions, and neither of them are ideal:
> 
> -I can instead use Text[] to put a label at the location of my choosing and then use Show[] to show the plot and the label together. The problem with this is that the plot axes get extended to accomodate these new graphics objects (the labels). I just want an x and y axis that begin at the origin and extend to positive values. Showing the labels makes them extend to negative values as well, which isn't very astheticaly pleasing.
> 
> -What I want to do also seems possible with Frame, since FrameLabel produces the kinds of labels that I want.
> But to use frame I need to suppress the upper and right parts (i.e., so that I'm left with just an x and y axis). The command for this: Frame->{{True,False},{True,False}}
> does not seem to work on the version of Mathematica (5.2) installed on this computer system.
> 
> Is there an easier/cleaner way to do this?

using the correct syntax (it might not be obvious but I think is
documented) will make the Frame solution work (on every version since at
least 4.2):

Plot[x, {x, 0, 1}, Frame -> {True, True, False, False},
 FrameLabel -> {"x", "y"}]

hth,

albert

• Prev by Date: Re: Simplify
  • Next by Date: Re: Should I be using Mathematica at all?
  • Previous by thread: Re: axis label position
  • Next by thread: integer programming