Re: Should I be using Mathematica at all?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98685] Re: Should I be using Mathematica at all?
  • From: Joseph Gwinn <joegwinn at comcast.net>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 04:14:51 -0400 (EDT)

In article <gs47oa$7s7$1 at smc.vnet.net>, peter <plindsay.0 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> respectfully, I don't think this is quite right although I see what
> you are getting at. C++ is platform independent and free, unless you
> chose to tie yourself in to particular proprietary Libraries or IDEs.

C++ in practice is not platform independent at all, unless one goes to
considerable effort to ensure independence.  You put your finger right
on it when you mentioned "particular proprietary Libraries or IDEs".

On Windows in particular, it can be very difficult to avoid things like
ActiveX controls from creeping in and defeating portability and platform
independence.  And forcing one onto the upgrade treadmill.

C, being at least ten times simpler, has far less of this problem, but
even so vigilance is required.

Joe Gwinn