Re: Re: Any way to make help browser remember the last

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98733] Re: [mg98679] Re: Any way to make help browser remember the last
  • From: Daniel Lichtblau <danl at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 04:28:31 -0400 (EDT)

AES wrote:
> [...]
> If the Help material (and other documentation) for Mathematica were
> written and displayed in another app and format (like, for example,
> Adobe PDF), as is the case with most other major applications, you could
> jump back and forth between your active Mathematica windows and your
> currently active documentation window(s), leaving both of them
> absolutely stable and unchanged in between viewings, with a single
> keystroke, Cmd-Tab (on a Mac, anyway).
>
> Works like a charm; I do it all the time with other apps.  And,
> documentation in the form of a PDF file can be scanned, viewed,
> searched, enlarged, read, and generally used _immensely_ more
> effectively and easily in, say, Adobe Acrobat (or probably Reader,
> though I don't use that) than documentation in Mathematica's cramped and
> awkward format.

These other applications and their documentation display tools, how well
do they handle input and evaluation of mathematical content?

> [Of course, one can only imagine what documentation for, say Excel,
> would be like, if MS insisted that _all_ the documentation for Excel
> also had to be _written_ only in Excel . . . ]
>
> [Did I add, that selected pages or sections of documentation in PDF can
> also be printed out, if you'd prefer to have a few particularly relevant
> pages of the documentation sitting on your (physical) desktop, beside
> your keyboard -- where you can just glance over at it, without having to
> close or open anything on screen.]

Last time I checked (which was today), one can still print Mathematica
notebooks. This would apply to e.g. Help browser pages.

In the Help browser notebooks one can also click on URLs to the
corresponding (html) web pages, bring them up, print them, etc. Maybe
not suitable for framing (unless you print on really good paper). But
useful all the same.

Daniel Lichtblau
Wolfram Research