Re: Been doing real-time measurements with Mathematica! (Wii Balance

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98757] Re: Been doing real-time measurements with Mathematica! (Wii Balance
  • From: jjmc <superfancyawesome at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 03:37:26 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Sjoerd,

Just to clarify, while I have no doubt that Mathematica is incredible
at recognizing all sorts of devices, it would be nice to have
documentation on how to get Mathematica's ControllerState to recognize
devices that Mathematica doesn't out of the box.   I assume this would
require the device driver to implement a particular (standard?)
protocol, and possibly a new controller to be defined within
mathematica.

It seems likely that Mathematica assumes some standard protocol that
any input devices should implement.  It would be nice to know what
that protocol is:  i.e. I'd love to see a statement Mathematica that
will recognize any devices that implement the **** protocol.   This
way, when I build a fancy new input device, I can ensure that
Mathematica will recognize it.

You needed to virtualize the wiiboard as a joystick.  This is a fine
and a wonderful hack, but it what would an open-source wiiboard
windows driver had to know to do, such that Mathematica could
recognize it as a device in and of itself?  I haven't really seen any
documentation on this.

Best, -JJ