Plot Axis Unit Conversions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98820] Plot Axis Unit Conversions
  • From: unknownowen at gmail.com
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 01:31:21 -0400 (EDT)

Hello everyone,

I am working on a notebook involving a flutter analysis of a flat
plate in a wind tunnel. All of the equations involve metric units, but
most of the physical measurements of size I have are in inches. In
order to maintain a consistent system of units, I would like to plot
the axis units in metric and English units. Specifically, I have a
plot for the critical flutter speed in units of m/s versus the chord
length in meters, and I want to overlay an x-axis, possibly on the
top, that will display the equivalent length in inches (i.e,
xinches=x*10000/254) without messing up the graph. At the very least,
I would like to display it in centimeters instead of meters for better
clarity. I do NOT want to recalculate the function using inches - just
display the conversion. It would be nice if I could display it in both
inches and centimeters at the same time.

This is an absolute breeze to do in another system, but I haven't been
able to find anything specifically dealing with scaling of axes for
Mathematica. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks very kindly!