Re: fit a complex function

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg98975] Re: fit a complex function
  • From: dh <dh at>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 06:41:34 -0400 (EDT)

you can not directly fit a complex function. But you may defined an

error function of the parameters, that returns a real number, specifying

the error. If you then search the minimum of this function over the

parameters, you have solved your problem.

here is a simplified version with 1 dim. where we fit Exp[I a x]:

d = Table[{x, Exp[2 I x]}, {x, 0, Pi, Pi/10}];

err[a_] := Total[Abs[ d[[All, 2]] - ( Exp[a I #] & /@ d[[All, 1]])]^2];

FindMinimum[err[a], a]