A Sum-like notation for iteration

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102237] A Sum-like notation for iteration
  • From: cca at gregosetroianos.mat.br
  • Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 05:59:38 -0400 (EDT)

For a future version of Mathematica, a would like to suggest a Sum-like 2D
notation for Table and related constructs. By this I mean, for exemple,
that an expression like

RawBoxes@RowBox[{UnderoverscriptBox["Table", RowBox[{"i", "=", "m"}], "n"],
   RowBox[{"f", "[", "i", "]"}]}]

could be interpreted as

Table[f[i], {i, m, n}]

and, of course, in full generality (and due embellishments for list
iterators and steps). By using this notation, for example, I have been able
to make some people understand Table with many iterators much more easily.

Setting the Notation package aside (which I refuse to use) I think it is
possible to do this in many ways (using MakeBoxes, CellEvaluationFunction,
etc.), but I have not attempeted beyond 3 iterators.

Carlos Cesar de Araujo
Gregos & Troianos Educacional
www.gregosetroianos.mat.br
Belo Horizonte, MG, Brasil