Re: Creating a Random Function to Select an Irrational Number

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102259] Re: Creating a Random Function to Select an Irrational Number
  • From: divisor <congruentialuminaire at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 05:46:01 -0400 (EDT)

Hello BenT:

If I understand correctly, 2 of those definitions can be implemented
thusly:

randomIrr[n_Integer]:=Pi^n

randomIrr1[n_Integer] := Module[
  {a=RandomInteger[n], b=RandomInteger[n], c, d}
  ,  c = First /@ FactorInteger[a];
  d = First /@ FactorInteger[b];
  If[c != d, Log[a, b],(* what to do?? *)0]
  ]

and invoking these seems to work:

N[randomIrr[500],25]

N[randomIrr1[500],25]

Note that N[] produces inexact numbers.

Also, note that I have only implemented the MathWorld definitions and
have not proved their irrationality.

Regards..

Roger Williams
Franklin Laboratory