Re: freeing memory used by Import[]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102258] Re: freeing memory used by Import[]
  • From: divisor <congruentialuminaire at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 05:45:50 -0400 (EDT)

Hello MathGroup:

As a result of some help from WRI support, the behavior is much more
clear to me now. I actually am not sure if it is a bug and I don't
know if it can be fixed in a subsequent release.

Basically what is happening is that the result of the earlier
invocations are always in Out[n]. This is designed this way (from the
first Mathematica version, I guess) in order to support the "%-m" construct.
This is (of course) controlled by the $HistoryLength system variable.

Since this application does not need to use "%-100" or "%-1000" (which
are fully supported by Mathematica) it can run with a much smaller
$HistoryLength setting. In fact, I will probably use 1 or 2 since I
just need to Export[] the graphic once it is rendered.

I cannot imagine I could get this to work without help from the
vendor.

Regards..

Roger Williams
Franklin Laboratory