Re: Re: A Sum-like notation for iteration

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102438] Re: [mg102415] Re: A Sum-like notation for iteration
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 06:06:44 -0400 (EDT)

I don't recall whether anybody has pointed out the following in connect
with this thread.  Another possibility for such things is to use the
EllipsisSequence package that is part of David Park's Presentations
application:

   http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/DrawGraphicsPage.html

For example:

      Needs["Presentations`EllipsisSequences`"]

      mysum = iSum[1/i^2, {i, 1, 2, , k, Null}, tag1]
1 + 1/4 + ... + 1/k^2 + ...
(*  output displays in 2D form *)

      mysum // iSumNormalize[tag1, {i, 1, Infinity}] // Simplify
Pi^2/6
(* output displays in 2D form, with the symbol for Pi there *)

That's an example with an infinite sum, but finite sums are handled in a
similar way.

For writing, one can thereby keep the sum displayed, but evaluate the
sum when required.  Products with ellipses are handled similarly.  And
one can use sequences with ellipses, too.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305