Re: A Sum-like notation for iteration

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102462] Re: A Sum-like notation for iteration
  • From: cca at gregosetroianos.mat.br
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 04:14:45 -0400 (EDT)

Magma,

I enjoyed your references to greeks and trojans. Fortunately we are not on
a battle here. Just a small comment on what you said:

>>For more complicated type of iteration - for example with a step size
>>- there is no 2D notation supported by Sum. So the same limitation
>>could apply to Table

Well, but I showed (in my last reply) that a 2D notation with steps is
supported -- at least since version 4 (and maybe in 3.x). I now remember
that I first learned this from a notebook by Theodore W. Gray and Jerry
Glynn (mentioning something about philosophy of notation).

Mathematica boxes (coupled with many other features of the system) are
amazingly powerful, although not immediately apparent, poorly documented
and largely unknown. Sometimes Mathematica reminds me Plato in its modesty.

Carlos Cesar de Araujo
Gregos & Troianos Educacional
www.gregosetroianos.mat.br
Belo Horizonte, MG, Brasil